
On Sunday, July 31, 2011, God saw it fit to end my Grandpa Hollifield's suffering here on this earth, and called him HOME to Him. It is sad to think that he is not with us anymore, but I know that the Bible says in 2 Cor. 5:8 says, " to be absent from the body, (is) to be present with the Lord." My Grandpa lived his life for God. The memorial service for him was so sweet. My Grandpa fought for our country in the WWII. Because of this, there was the added military honors at the graveside service. How neat it was, to hear the 21 gun salute and Taps being played in honor of MY Grandpa. I am also very thankful that the Sunday before he passed away, God gave me a special moment with my Grandpa. Leonard and I went to visit him, and I took his hand as I walked in. I said Grandpa, "It's me, Nikki. Do you remember me?" and he shook his head yes. He had such a tight grasp to my hand that as I tried several times to pull away, he tightened his grip. I, at one point, took my hand away in which he reached out for it again. I am so glad that God gave me that special moment. I will forever treasure it in my heart.
As I grew up, my Grandma and Grandpa Hollifield were always there for me. We lived right behind them, sharing the same driveway. I will never forget the many times I would go over to his house when it stormed and sit on his front porch with him and Grandma and listen to it rain. I never felt afraid of being out in the storm, because my Grandpa and Grandma were with me. I remember going to church and sitting with them and Grandpa giving me a Lifesaver to suck on. I remember the many times that we "worked" in the garden together. I also remember the times that I would go over to his house and he would say, "there are Hoagie fixin's in the fridge, go make yourself a sandwich", and even though I had just eaten at home, I would go in there and make me one, because Grandpa told me to. I remember the green Buick he used to drive, and can still smell the inside of it to this day. I remember after Grandma died, Grandpa would take me out to eat at the Omega House, and I always got Chicken 'n Dumplings and fried okra.
I have soo many great memories of Grandpa and truly do miss him very much, but it thrills my heart that he is up in Heaven at our Savior's feet. I can almost see him hand and hand with my Grandma right now...finally together at last. As Pastor Harris said yesterday, as we focus on the "never's" that we did not get to do with him, I can remind myself of the "FOREVER'S" I am going to get to do with him in eternity.
I love you soooo much, Grandpa! Can't wait to see you again some day!
1 comment:
This is great Nikki! I love those memories too! As sad as it is to lose him, I am so glad he isn't suffering anymore! I love you!
Post a Comment